Introduction and specs
Tecno is slowly making a name for itself in the smartphone world and is expanding to different markets across the globe. The Pova series is the budget selection of Tecnos limited to a few markets, with India being one of them.
This year’s Pova 5 series is more about gaming, and the Pova 5 Pro is more so. The handset runs a Dimensity 6080 chipset paired with 8GB of RAM, a fairly potent setup for its class. The body styling hints at the Pova 5 Pro’s gaming heritage with its LED-illuminated Mecha design. It definitely stands out from the crowd in the sub-INR 15,000 segment.
The device also boasts a rather big vapor chamber that Tecno says is enough to keep the Dimensity 6080 about 2°C cooler.
Tecno Pova 5 Pro specs at a glance:
- Body: 168.5×76.5×9.0mm, 220g; Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back; Multiple LED lights on the back (notifications, low battery, game actions).
- Display: 6.78″ IPS LCD, 120Hz, 580 nits (peak), 1080x2460px resolution, 20.5:9 aspect ratio, 396ppi.
- Chipset: MediaТek Dimensity 6080 (6 nm): Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 13, HIOS 13.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, PDAF; Depth: 0.08 MP.
- Front camera: 16 MP.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1440p@30fps, 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 68W wired, 50% in 15 min (advertised).
- Connectivity: LTE; Dual SIM; Wi-Fi 5; BT; NFC; FM radio; 3.5mm jack.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); stereo speakers.
Unlike some of its competitors, the Pova 5 Pro brings a 120Hz display to the table. You may wonder whether the Dimensity can maintain HRR gaming, and luckily, Tecno has worked closely with some of the developers to optimize the gaming experience, so the Pova 5 Pro should be able to hit 120fps in Mobile Legend: Bang Bang, for example, and even maintain stable frames above 80fps. Free Fire, on the other hand, can run at 90fps, whereas PUBG Mobile makes use of the linear motor and provides contextual tactile feedback.
The whole hardware runs on a 5,000 mAh battery supporting fast 68W charging, another rare find in this price bracket. Additionally, the software allows bypass charging to preserve battery health over time if you play games while charging.
One of the cool things about the Pova 5 Pro is the camera setup. It’s a no-nonsense setup consisting of a 50MP main shooter and a depth sensor. Given that any other auxiliary camera wouldn’t add much value to the phone, it’s good that Tecno kept it simple and went for a simple camera setup.
Unboxing the Tecno Pova 5 Pro
The handset comes in an unusual triangle box containing all the usual user manuals, the appropriate 68W fast charger, and a USB-C to USB-A cable.
The box also carries a transparent silicone case and a pair of wired earbuds. You rarely see that nowadays.